Friday, August 20, 2010

Well, hey there!

At that moment...I knew what it means to be at home in the world. It is to experience a complete consonance between one's own body and the body of the earth. Between self and other. It little matters whether the other is a landscape, a loved one, a house, or an action. Things just flow. There seems to be no resistance between oneself and the world. The relationship is all.

This is probably my favorite quote from At Home in the World by Michael Jackson (no, not the dead pop star). I read this book in my Freshman Year Experience class, which took its name from At Home in the World. Through this class, 9 of my fellow classmates, myself, and our professor Eva explored what the concept of Home meant to us and to other people throughout the world. It was pretty awesome.

The band Hope for AGoldenSummer has a pretty good idea of what home is as well. Home is the place where they catch you when you fall. And we all fall. Their website.

I had a much longer post here before but I decided that I could sum it up in these few words. Over the past 20 years I have made homes in many places, the two most poignant being Berkeley Heights, NJ and the surrounding areas, where I've lived for 16 years and Guilford College, which I have attended for 2. There are other places that share parts of my heart, but these two are the places where "things just flow." They and the people in them mean the world and more to me.

And here I go, setting off to with the hope of finding yet another home, far far away, even though at this point I'm pretty sure that two is quite a lot already. At  6:35 PM EST on Friday, August 27th, 2010 (barring any delays) I'll be getting on a plane that will take me to Zurich, Switzerland and then I will hop on a train to Munich, Germany, where I will be living and learning for a semester.

What? Crazy! Splendid! Wow!

So, it will be nice to have you, from whichever home or family you hale, along with me on my journey. It will be crazy, it will be strange, it will be scary, but I'm mostly excited. Thanks for coming along and sharing this with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment